The Truman Show


The Truman Show was way better than I expected, when I first heard the title I thought it was going to some stupid old movie. And as soon as I saw Jim Carrey I’m sure I actually rolled my eyes, anticipating it to be a meaningless comedy. But this movie was so good and I plan on watching it again, I actually want to show it to my brother this weekend. It was funny but also reminded me of a psychological thriller / horror movie in a lot of ways because of how thought provoking it was. It opens many doors to thoughts and conversations we probably wouldn’t be having. I agree with both reviews in them saying that this wasn’t what you expect from a Jim Carrey movie. Michael Wilmington said that The Truman Show was “a Jim Carrey movie for people who wouldn’t ordinarily go to a Jim Carrey movie.” Also I think that the movie could be quite jarring not only in thinking about social media and how it can affect us but also thinking about how much us, as a society relate to Truman. We are all being controlled in one sense or another, also just thinking about the fact that Truman was given no consent on any of what was going on in his life. His wife, parents, friends everyone was in on the ‘joke’ so to speak and that is truly alarming, like what is being hidden from us not only as individuals but also as the public. I feel like we all may have a ‘dome’ of sorts over us being controlled not by a director but by ourselves. We would like to think that we make our own decisions but like we said during the talk about social media maybe it’s a bit more than a self-control issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News

News

Is rapid city any good?